To enhance the browsing experience in Microsoft Edge, Microsoft adopted Chromium source code. Thus, Chromium-based Microsoft Edge came into existence with many good features. Focus mode is one of such features. You can enable focus mode using the ‘flags’ page of Microsoft Edge Chromium.
This guide will help you easily turn on focus mode in Microsoft Edge Chromium and then you can use it for any tab you want. Before you rush, let’s have a look at some of the important points related to the focus mode in Microsoft Edge Chromium-
- Focus mode lets you open a tab as a separate window with no settings, address bar, favorites bar, etc. Settings and more icon will be available but it won’t contain the options that are present in the normal Settings.
- You can use hotkeys to open favorites bar, manage favorites, open new InPrivate window, access history, and more in focus mode.
- In focus mode, the tab is reserved to use a single webpage/website only. You can use New Tab button or icon in focus mode but that will open the same webpage/website.
- Links present in the focus mode tab can be opened in new tabs.
In the screenshot added below, you can see that focus mode is enabled in Microsoft Edge Chromium browser. There is no favorites bar, address bar, Settings menu, etc.
Though the stable version of Microsoft Edge Chromium is expected to come on January 15th, 2020, the beta version is already available to use which works pretty fine. So, you can start using Chromium-based Microsoft Edge without facing any trouble.
Update (Jan 16, 2020): Stable version of Microsoft Edge Chromium is now available. The link will help you access its download page.
Now let’s check the steps to enable focus mode.
Steps to Enable Focus Mode in Microsoft Edge Chromium Browser:
1). Launch Microsoft Edge Chromium. You can download and install it first if you haven’t already.
2). Type edge://flags in the address bar and press Enter. It will open flags page of Microsoft Edge Chromium.
3). Type focus in the search box. Focus Mode experiment will be highlighted. After that, use drop-down menu > select Enabled > and click on the Restart button.
It will relaunch the browser and focus mode will be enabled.
4). Now turn on focus mode for a tab or webpage. For that, open a webpage in a tab > right-click on the tab > and select Focus this tab.
The tab will be popped out from the current window and a new window is opened. You will see that there is no bookmarks bar, Settings, etc.
5). You can open the same tab in the normal window again. For that, click that Settings icon and use ‘Open in Microsoft Edge‘ option.
When the tab is opened in the normal window, you can close the focus mode window.
6). In case you want to disable focus mode in Microsoft Edge browser, then repeat step 1 to 3 > select Default in drop-down menu > and Restart the browser.
This is it.
You may also read:
- Mute individual tabs in Microsoft Edge.
- Enable or disable prompt to save passwords in Microsoft Edge.
Those who need to focus on one tab at a time, enabling focus mode in Microsoft Edge Chromium can be helpful. I might use it sometimes but not for now. There must be many users who will benefit from it and this guide is surely useful for that.