Hey folks, today I am going to show you how to see total Internet usage and current network speed directly from Windows taskbar. There might be a variety of reasons for you to keep an eye on real-time internet speed. Sometimes out of curiosity or just to be vigilant and see if something suspicious is consuming the majority of your network bandwidth. Likewise, you might also want to see how much data is consumed today and/or in the whole month (so far). For this, a simple software called “NetSpeedMonitor” can be used.
NetSpeedMonitor is a free software that allows you to check total data usage for current day and whole month and also shows network speed in real-time directly from the taskbar. It monitors connected network adapter’s activity from Windows Taskbar to help you see the results.
The animated GIF below shows you a glimpse of what you will be getting after installing this software.
Though “Task Manager>Performance>WiFi” can also provide you with the same amount of information but with NetSpeedMonitor you can see it right on your Windows Taskbar. Thus, it helps you to stay updated with real-time internet speed of a specific network adapter. Yes, you can select a specific network adapter and monitor its network activity from taskbar. The software is compatible with Windows 10 and lower versions also.
After installation and launching this software, it starts showing real-time upload and download speed on taskbar. A mouse hover over the network speed icon will show you data usage for current day and total sessions and total data consumed so far by all sessions for a month. The same can be seen in screenshot added below.
To see data usage in Windows 10 without any 3rd party software, you have to go deep down in Settings > Network & Internet > Data Usage. This will tell you total data usage of last 30 days and you can get to know which Windows app or software consumed how much data. But, keeping an eye on current and monthly data usage right from taskbar is a lot easier. Therefore, this software is more helpful.
Before proceeding further I will draw your attention towards some of the important points about NetSpeedMonitor as jotted down below:
- NetSpeedMonitor software is very old and its active development has been stopped. Still, it works fine, as per my testing.
- It is compatible with Windows XP and 7 but can run smoothly in Windows 10 as well, just need to tweak its Compatibility settings. I have tested it on Windows 10 PC. I didn’t face any trouble. To apply recommended compatibility settings for Windows 10, right click on the downloaded EXE file and select properties. Now, switch to the compatibility tab and select “Run for older versions” option.
- Make sure you have downloaded the correct version of the software as per your OS specification as 32-bit NetSpeedMonitor will not work in the 64-bit version of Windows and vice versa.
- You can also see TCP connections of your PC by NetSpeedMonitor.
- Send large files without any size limit and registration.
- Free website blocker software that can help you be more productive.
It just might not work for the first time but do not loose the patience and try to install it again. Once installed successfully, it will prompt you to add its toolbar in the Taskbar. Grant the permission and you are all set to see the real-time internet speed and data usage using Windows Taskbar. It can keep track of internet usage of the current session, the current day, and the complete month (in MB).
In case you wish to change the network adapter and see the download speed of another adapter in taskbar, then you can change it from its Settings. Right-click on NetSpeedMonitor toolbar, select Configuration, switch to the General tab and select the network adapter from the list.
So this is all about NetSpeedMonitor. If everything is good and the software meets your expectations, then you can go ahead and install NetSpeedMonitor on your PC.
You can enjoy watching total data usage and current download and upload speed on Windows taskbar just as I do using this software. You can also admire my high-speed internet. Try this software and tell me how helpful it is for you. Post your comments below and stay tuned for more tweaking tutorials like this.