Open Tabs is a free Chrome extension to add tabs to groups and restore any group later anytime. This is good when you usually work with dozens of tabs and need all those tabs later. Instead of bookmarking every single webpage or storing the list of tabs, this extension is much better. Once tabs are added to group, you close the window. Later, you can restore all those tabs anytime using this extension.
You can create different groups for different sessions. It also lets you give a custom name to groups so that you can easily identify which group is for what purpose.
There are some other features also present. You can update any group, add current tab to a group, and delete any group. I have explained all these options below.
In the image above, you can see pop-up window of this extension where I have created two groups and options related to a group are also visible.
After installation, you can use the extension icon (available at top right corner) to create and manage groups with the the help of this pop-up window.
For every single group, it provides four options:
- Open: Using this option, you can open all the tabs available in that particular group in a new Chrome window.
- Add: This option simply adds current tab to the group. However, this option needs some improvement. It is so because once the tab is added to group, and you use this option, then the extension adds that tab again to that group and this increases the total number of tabs available in a group. I guess once a tab is added to a group, the same tab should be not counted again.
- Update: Use this option carefully because it replaces all the existing tabs with the currently opened tabs. So if you have saved 6 tabs in a group and now there are 4 tabs, then pressing this option will replace the previous tabs and then only 4 tabs will remain in the group.
- Delete: When you don’t need a group anymore, use this button to delete it.
- Manage Chrome Tabs and Suspend Unnecessary Tabs To Categories.
- Work on Multiple Tabs Simultaneously On Google Chrome.
Use the pop-up and create and manage tab groups using this extension. This is what we get with this extension. It is quite useful whenever you want to save a particular session in which multiple tabs are opened.
Open Tabs is gonna help me a lot. I need to do research regularly and dealing with 10-12 tabs or more at a time is common for me. I’m sure you also have to deal with multiple tabs regularly when using Chrome or some other browser. For Chrome, we have got something that will take care of our Chrome sessions.
Everything is great. However, there is one feature missing in this Chrome extension. It doesn’t provide option to delete a tab from a group. We can update the group by replacing saved tabs with currently opened tabs, but when we need to edit a group for removing some tabs, then this extension won’t help you. Still, this is just the first version of Open Tabs and we can expect more features (like delete tabs from a group) and improvements (like the extension should not count a tab again once it is added to a group). Overall, Open Tabs is such a nice extension using which we can add tabs to groups and later open any group and restore all the tabs. Serves the purpose for which it is built.